Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Intro to Primers

makeup primers

I'm not sure how long primers have been around, but I do remember my first one. It was a Neutrogena one with SPF 15 that I got 3 years ago along with my first foundation, MAC Face and Body. Since then I have been experimenting with primers and setting sprays to help my makeup last longer. There are so many primers out on the market depending on your skin type and needs. Do you need your makeup to last from morning to the wee hours till midnight? Do you need to minimize appearance of pores and create a flawless canvas? Are you looking to lubricate dry skin? You're bound to find a primer that fits your needs.

Although I only have 1 full-sized primer and the other 3 are samples, I want to compare all of them:

1. Too Faced Hangover Primer: I picked up this sample at a Too Faced makeover event in Ulta I went to in August. I've been looking up how much the travel-sized version would cost, but couldn't find it (maybe it was just available for those events?) It claims to hydrate, smooth and brighten your skin for a dewy finish. It contains coconut water and probiotics to back up these claims. And you know what? I believe it. This primer feels amazing and cooling on your skin. Let's just say that your skin was like in a drought. Yeah, that dry. This is the primer you need to replenish. It is also silicone-free, which is also another bonus for dry-skin types. I just don't feel like it helps my makeup stay all day though. It has a fairly weak staying power, which is why I haven't been reaching for it lately.
Full-size: $32 for 1.35 oz

2. Tarte Clean Slate Flawless 12-Hour Brightening Primer: This is another hydrating primer that feels more like lotion because there's no silicone. This has been my go-to primer since it's full sized, but sometimes I just pat it all over my face and use the Porefessional on my nose. It helps my makeup say pretty well and makes my skin look and feel smooth, which is why I've been using it a lot (also, I'm trying to put it to good use with the amount of money I spent). It has a strong plant-y smell though because it has Aloe Juice and Grapefruit Seed Oil as some of the ingredients, which I personally don't mind (I love strong scents) but you might be put off by it.
Full-size: $31 for 1 oz

3. Smashbox Photo-Finish Foundation Primer: Now we are getting to the heavier-duty primers that offer more coverage. The Smashbox Photo-Finish Foundation Primer helps fill in the pores for the more flawless looking face. It is thicker in texture than the other 2 I just mentioned, but has a smooth silky feel. It's thick enough for oily-skin types. I just learned that this was one of Smashbox's first products, and they developed a formula that diffuses light, blurs and softens imperfections. Also, did you know that the Smashbox makeup was created from the Smashbox Studios (for photography/videography) in LA? That is why a lot of their cosmetic products are developed and inspired with the lens in mind.
Full-size: $36 for 1 oz
Travel-size: $16 for 0.5 oz

4. Benefit POREfessional: This is similar to the Smashbox Photo-Finish Primer in terms of color (both are flesh) and texture (thick but creamy and silky). This is a godsend for those with oily skin. I've seen before and after pictures with women incorporating this, and it makes a huge difference! It minimizes the shine on one's face too. Even I like wearing this on my nose under foundation (the part of my face that is oily), because I kinda have a Rudolph-red nose, and this gives me extra coverage. Keep in mind that it is pricy for it's size, as it is smaller than the other ones I mentioned.
Full-size: $31 for 0.75 oz
Travel-size: $10 for 0.25 oz

To give you an idea of how the primers look and feel on your skin, here's the swatches:

Left-right: Too Faced Hangover, Tarte 12-Hour Brightening, Smashbox Photo-Finish, Benefit POREfessional

Not sure what primer to get? If you have dry skin, look for silicone-free ingredients, and ones that have a lotion-texture for a more moisturizing feel. I highly recommend the Too Faced Hangover or the Tarte 12-Hour Brightening if you have thirsty skin. Now if you want more coverage and a more mattifying look, then Smashbox Photo-Finish and Benefit POREfessional are your best bets.

Now I know only Benefit sells the travel-sized version on its own, but there are many ways to get a sample sized ones of the other brands. Most of the primers are part of a gift set, so I recommend you purchase if if you want to try it among other products of that specific brand. If you are a Sephora Beauty Insider member, sometimes it will show up as one of the 100-point rewards (or 500 points if you're planning to buy a gift set), so spend and take advantage of that! Also, I haven't tried this, but you could also go to Sephora and ask the employees if they can give you samples. Other people have had good experience with this.

Have you ever tried any of these primers? Or which ones are your holy grail, if not featured above?

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar