Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Even with N5m offer, I refused to have my hair

He was featured in MNet-sponsored TV series 'Tinsel'. Charles 'Billion' Pius has also made his mark in a number of indigenous TV series and movies. The Edo State-born actor speaks with NEWTON-RAY UKWUOMA about his early days, career and relationship.


How significant is the contribution of Tinsel to the Nigerian story?Tinsel has been the best TV series in Nigerian. Perhaps, it's the best because it's a South African production. They have the best camera, technique and experienced hands, unlike the Nollywood movies which are trying to catch up in the area of technicality and quality. Till now, I have not seen any TV series that can compete with Tinsel.


What is responsible for the dearth of quality in Nollywood, even when we are ranked the second largest movie industry in the world?Yes, we are the second only in output. I think with time, we'll talk about the financial aspect of Nollywood. These people (South Africa) are ready to pump money into their movie productions, unlike the Nigerian movies that are poorly funded. We are bothered only about the marketing aspect of Nollywood: how we can sell more, how marketers can deliver and all that. We need to initiate serious commitment in funding. It's not that we cannot achieve the level of quality as South Africa; in fact, some of their producers and directors are Nigerians. But they have more equipment and support than we do here in Nigeria.


What challenges have you faced in the industry? My challenge is getting to adapt. I am a natural person, very open, straightforward and down-to-earth. I don't really pay attention to celebrity shenanigans on conduct and what not. But my work throws certain obligations on me. You are supposed to be a role model to some people out there. This means that you can't eat anything you really wanted to. You wouldn't go to just anywhere without someone showing some surprise as to why you had to come to such a place. For instance, I may want to eat amala in a nearby canteen, but these days, I don't enjoy this food. I don't know why I shouldn't. So, sometimes I throw caution to the wind and go to eat wherever I want to. I do what I want to do, when I want to do it.What motivated your acting career? Looking back, I think the environment and the circumstances that surrounded my growing up somewhat dictated who I am now. I remember I lost my dad at age eight. Things changed after that, naturally. The responsibility to cater for them (family) automatically fell on me, when the pressure became too much for my mum. I come from a family of four children: three boys and a girl. I was the first child. I became the pillar of the house at a young age. It wasn't easy. We went to government schools. You know the life of a typical widow in Nigeria? It was hell. I would say it was a tough period. All that made me strong. My mum would always say to me that anywhere I was, I should always remember the son of whom I was. That instruction stays with me even now. It follows me about like a guide. Wherever I am, it comes to me. It has helped in my adjustment to situations.


What is the worst thing you have ever done to survive?The worst thing I ever did to survive was to hawk on the street.


What did you hawk?I hawked groundnut for two days. It was what my mum was doing those days to make ends meet. I just decided one day to carry it to the street. I tried it first day, second day and then stopped. I couldn't continue.


Didn't you make money in those two days?I made some money.


How did you find the path to your dream career?The passion for acting had been there right from age three. There was a time I joined the drama group of my church. I wanted to study Theatre Art, but my uncle wanted me to work in the bank. I studied accounting in school. However, I took it upon myself to go into acting after my first degree. I had to put accounting aside for my true dream.


The word 'Billion' also connotes money. How did you come by that name?Yeah, 'Billion' came after my secondary school. I started a business after secondary school that was fetching some money. At age 21, I told myself that I was going to be a millionaire at 25. And at 24, I had nothing less than N20 million. So, I decided to raise the stakes. I set new targets that if I could make millions at that age, then I was going to settle down before 35 as a billionaire. That was where my friends picked 'Billion' from. They started calling me 'Billion'. That was how I got the name. Chasing billions is my mission.


When you make the trillion, will you change your name?No, I want to make billions alone. In fact, I wouldn't want to make the last billion that will make a trillion.


You said you would settle down at age 35. How is that coming? Are you married now?I'm engaged, hoping to get married very soon.


Your dreadlocks are one remarkable aspect of you. Do your fans appreciate them too?Some fans might be crazy about my locks because they love them. My locks are 10 years old now. It was my power point when I was modelling. And till today, it is still my strong point. But I have been getting calls in the movie industry to have my hair cut. My hair is me. I don't think I am taking them down soon. Before I left Tinsel, we were on a production, and they wanted me to cut my hair because they wanted me to play a lead role in that episode. I told them I would not have my hair cut. If the hair cannot fit into a role, it will fit into another role. I can't cut it because it means a lot to me.


If someone offered you N500 billion for a role, would you have your hair cut?I've rejected N5 million. Well, for N500 billion, I'll do it and grow it back.


Why did you grow the locks?It's from my gene, I should say. This is even my second locks. I had it cut in 2003, and it grew back again. But mainly, I have been fascinated about dreadlocks from the beginning. There was this lady it fitted so well on her head, and I finally made up my mind to grow mine. And like I said, it was also my selling point during my modelling days. I love hair. Even my kids are going to have the locks. I am not going to touch them.


What qualities do you desire in your perfect woman?I do not believe so much in perfection, so it's going to be hard answering that question. But all I can tell you is that I have found all I want in a woman, in the woman I am engaged to. You may know her. Generally, she is understanding; which is where the beauty lies. Physical beauty has been overrated. God-fearing, intelligent, humane and caring are other essential attributes of an understanding woman.


How did you meet her?I was in Tinsel when I met her. We came to Nollywood. You may not know your dream woman in the first day you set your eyes on her. She might just be one of those people you didn't notice or get together with. But the first time I set my eyes on this woman I knew she was the one. I told her she was the one. And it started on that note, like a joke. But I have not stopped feeling the butterfly in my stomach.


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar